Sunday, April 17, 2011

Poetry Month

This month is poetry month so I thought that I would put up some quotes, little snatches of poetry that I love. I am going to link up one of my favorite poems ever to here as well.

Some light hearted poetry.
I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Indeed, unless the billboards fall
I shall never see a tree at all.
                                Ogden Nash

And today the great Yertle, that Marvelous he
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
                                     Theodor Geisel

Not drunk is he, who from the floor
Can rise alone, and still drink more;
But drunk is he, who prostrate lies,
With out the power to drink or rise.
                      Thomas Love Peacock

This is one of my favorite poems it is not light in anyway. The subject is dark, but the flow and the story line is amazing. This is from The Goblin Market by Christina Rosetti.

She Cried, "Laura," up the garden,
"Did you miss me?
Come and kiss me.
Never mind my bruises,
Hug me, kiss me, suck my juices

From the Cad Goddeu from the Llyfr Taliesin. I have read this one over and over sill never getting tired of the language or the flow.
I was in many forms
before I was set free
I was a narrow blood-spotted sword
I believed, when I was formed
I was teardrops in the air
I was a star-woven star

I have people tell me that I am strange for reading and enjoying poetry but I think they are missing so much. I hope that this post will get some others to read and explore poetry.

No comments: