Tuesday, March 08, 2011

I just read the best book ever

Out of my library loot, I picked up a book called Walking the Labyrinth by Lisa Goldstein. This is a book that I did not want to end nor could I put it down. I sat in the car at Borders and finished reading it.

Molly Travers,  meets a P.I who says that he is looking for her Aunt Thorne, it is regarding an inheritance. There begins her adventure in to finding out who she is, who is telling the truth, and who is not. She comes across a family names Allalie. The Allalies are a vaudeville troupe of illusionists or are they. Is their magic more or less then what it seems.

Molly after talking to her Aunt Fentrice, Molly goes to England with the P.I John to a house called Tantilly. There they find a diary written by one Emily Wethers. This diary goes on to explain how she meets and then becomes a member of the Order of the Labyrinth. Emily joins the Order at the height of the Spiritualist movement, however she decided to use her power to get a widow to reenter life. In the basement of Tantilly the Lady Dorothy Westingate builds rooms and rooms to form a labyrinth. Where each room, what you see is not what others see. There is a bit of a Gothic feel to parts of the book, just enough that I liked it.

The Allalie family, is chaos, quirky, and one that I think would be better to get to know. There is one question that everyone in the family asks is "What have you learned?" What I have learned is that I want to read more of Ms. Goldstein's books.

No comments: