Monday, December 22, 2008

Yesterday and last night

My son was to have flown from Tucson to Seattle. The flight out of Tucson was running about 20 minutes late, that with all the weather that we in the norther states are having. Just as he landed in Los Vegas for the lay over all flights to Seattle were canceled. It is hard to explain about all of the worry and stress I had trying to get him someplace safe. I know that he is 17 and is still a minor, I also know that some people see him and don't think about his age. They see someone who is almost an adult, but that is not the case. At 17 he can make some choices but if he were to have gotten stuck in Nevada he would have had to stay at the airport as he is not old enough to register for a hotel room.

I have to say that for all my worrying, and fussing the people at Southwest were wonderful. They got him a flight back to Tucson. He did have to hang out at the airport for several hours, and that of course had me calling him every 30 minuets to see if he was OK. He got back into Tucson after midnight. I am just so thankful that he is OK that he got back.

Thank God that he did not end up in a shelter like the people stuck at the bus depot in Seattle.

I also don't know if his plans would have worked out anyway. We are having power outages, side streets are a mess, and it is snowing again. We have over a foot of snow and more is falling as I write this. We did loose power last night, it was only for a few hours. I woke up to darkness, and silence at about 4am. I did not know how long the power had been out but I knew that there were a few things I had to do.

I ran into the bathroom, opened the counter door, turned the water on so that the pipes would not freeze. Then I went into the kitchen and filled the hot water bottle full of hot water, thank goodness we still had hot water in the tank. I wrapped that in a towel, then took the heat lamp off of Gex's aquarium, put the hot water bottle in the tank and covered it with a blanket to help keep him warm. Left some cold water on in the kitchen and then went back to bed.

When I woke up this morning, the power was on, and I was burning a hole in the floor. I had forgotten to turn the heat lamp off when I put it on the ground. I now have a melted carpet, BUT I have a kid that is safe, and a live lizard. Woohoo!!

No comments: