Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sand in the City/ Farmers Market

This weekend was Sand in the City; it is a benefit for the Olympia Children’s Museum. Each year in August fine sand is shipped into the city and local business sponsor a sand sculpture. The event is held at Percival Landing just feet away from the Farmers market.

What I usually do is get there early, go to the event, later when people wake up it becomes crowded. I wander looking at the sand sculptures and then I go to the market for some shopping.

This year I got there late I forgot to take my camera with me when I went to work so I came home, fell asleep and did not get there until the market was an hour from closing and the event was full. I ran and got some pictures and looked at the art work. Then I went to the market where I bought strawberries, and a green chili that I had not tasted before was give to me as a sample to see if I wanted to when I go back buy some.

While the chili is not a Hatch it is good and will do well. Next time I go I will buy a bunch roast them and freeze them so that when I work long runs of more than 2 or 3 days I can make up Green Chili Stew and take it.

I have some great pics of the market and even though the pics show what the market is like it does not describe what exactly happens to me when I first get there. Getting out of the car the first thing that is noticed is the smell of the sea, then walking toward the market curry from the Indian restaurant. There are others along the back of the market but none smell as strong or as good as the curry. At this time of year the inside smells like lavender on one end, dill weed in the middle and berries on the other end.

There are flowers, fruits, vegetables and hand crafted items that just pop with color. The fish, meats, baked goods are fresh just that day. I love going to the market.













4 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Wow...gorgeous photos! And our farmers market smells the exact same way!

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are beautiful!

Anna said...

Oh, those berries!

Nulaanne said...

I just love the market. Cam those berries are in my freezer. Yummy!