Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First one Done


Duma Key by Steven King. This book is for two reading challenges the TBR and the Whats in a Name 5. For the Whats in a Name challenge a Key is something that is kept in a purse, pocket or backpack.

This is the first King book that I have read in a very long time. When I was a teenager I read him like there was no tomorrow. I read everything he wrote. Then one day I picked up his new and latest release and just could not finish it. I do not know if I had changed, his writing had changed or what. The magic was lost to me.

Last year one of my co-workers gave me Duma Key she wanted to talk to me about the book. Having had lost the magic, I put the book on the shelf and left it there. This is the best Steven King I have read in a long time.

The main character Edgar Freemantle has a accident that almost kills him. To recover he moves to Duam Key. There he meets Wireman, and Elizabeth Eastlake. As he heals he paints, his paintings have the power to heal, kill, and destroy.

I read all 770 pages in about 12 hours. The book had an interesting affect on me. I should explain that when I read the words are not just words. I can see, hear, smell what is on the pages. Each character has a voice, a look, or a little quirk that fits each person. So, when I read a few lines about a picnic basket I could hear the panic in his voice.

This is what I read that freaked me out so much. Italics the authors:
"That basket.
Elizabeth's dammed picnic basket.
It was red."

No comments: