Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Marriage means to me

With all of the talk on marriage and the rights that go along with it I thought I should write about what marriage means to me. The me that got stupidly hitched at 19 because that is what I thought I should do. The me who when he left me pregnant became a single mom. The me who did not for years even think about a relationship, because the kid came first. The me who for several months lived in a homeless shelter with a small child. The me who held nontraditional jobs, like fire support for ground and air firefighters.

Personal, I am scared to get married. I don't want to disappoint Honey, I don't want to hurt her. I don't want her to one day wake up regretting marring me.

Marriage is to me an acknowledgement of our love. It is me telling others that I love this woman so much that I am willing to stand up and tell the world of my love for her.

Marriage to me means being with her when facing the hard times. Taking care of her when she needs it.

Marriage means compromise. Accepting her for her, and giving her space when she needs it. It means realizing that you are both individuals working toward a common goal. Marriage means working through the misunderstandings or finding a way to live with the two different points of view.

Marriage means growing as both a couple and as individuals.

Marriage means sitting at a hospital for all hours. It means fixing her favorite meal when she is sick. It means having someone to hold in the dark scary times. It means that after death the survivor will get the respect of being a widow.

Marriage to me means that my love is as important as your love.

3 comments:

dykewife said...

brava

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Honey, she's a lucky one. And, I have a feeling you are too.

Nulaanne said...

I am a lucky one. I cannot belive that I have found someone like her. She means the world to me.