Thursday, November 06, 2008

Book Club Night--- Infidel

Tonight was book club night and for this month we read a book by Ayaan Hirsi Ali titled Infidel. I tried to get a link but the computer is not allowing me to at this time. When this book was brought to my attention that it was going to be one of the ones that the group was reading I was not happy. I thought that I would not like it, that it would be a book that would be difficult to read. I was wrong.

For most of the book I enjoyed reading about a different outlook on life, a different culture. I will admit that one point it was very hard for me to get through. The author was describing what happened to her, her sister, and brother. He was circumcised, she and her sister were mutilated. I had to read a word or two and walk away and then come back and read some more.

If asked I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read about overcoming obstacles, to learn about Islam, to learn about what it is like to be a refugee. A very good book.

The next time the group meets in Jan 8Th and we will be reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

1 comment:

Landlady of Fat said...

OMG I LOVED this book!!

I think I read the first two paragraphs in the foreword to like 80 people. LOL

It was sooooo intriguing. :)